Saturday, April 25, 2015
Slow-Cooker Pepper Pork Chops
The other night for dinner, I made the best pork chops ever:) They were so moist, tender and extremely flavorful. They just melted in your mouth. This recipe came from Alton Brown - one of my very favorites.
The recipe starts by marinating the pork chops in a brine composed of salt, vegetable broth, water, peppercorns, and some brown sugar. The next morning the chops are rinsed and patted dry. Sprinkle each side with some salt and brown them on both sides. Place the chops in a slow cooker on top of the dried apples which have been scattered on the bottom. Next you saute some onions until they just start turning brown. Add some chicken broth, thyme and pepper. Pour over the chops, cover and cook on high for 1.5 hours. Then turn the slow cooker to low and cook for the remaining 4.5 hours. The aroma as they are cooking is wonderful.
When the chops are done, they have separated from the bone. They are ready to serve. I served mine with a side of fried potatoes.
A very comforting and delicious meal to enjoy with your family and/or friends.
Slow-Cooker Pork Chops
Food Network: Alton Brown
2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons black peppercorns, slightly crushed
1 pound ice
4 (1 to 1 1/2-inch thick) bone-in pork chops
2 teaspoons kosher salt
3 ounces dried apple slices
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, julienned
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1. Combine the vegetable broth, 1/2 cup kosher salt, brown sugar and peppercorns in a medium saucepan and set over medium-high heat. Cook just until the salt and sugar dissolve, then remove from the heat and add the ice. Place the pork chops into a 2-gallon zip-top bag along with the mixture and seal. Place in a plastic container and refrigerate overnight.
2. Remove the chops from the brine, rinse, and pat dry. Season on both sides with the kosher salt and set aside
3. Place the apples in the slow cooker.
4. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a 12-inch stainless steel saute pan over medium-high heat. Saute the pork chops on both sides until golden brown, approximately 5 to 6 minutes per side. Once browned, place the pork chops into the slow cooker atop the apples.
5. Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan followed by the onions and saute until they begin to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the chicken broth to the pan to deglaze. Add the black pepper and thyme and stir to combine. Transfer this to the slow cooker, set to high, cover and cook for 1 1/2 hours. Decrease the heat to low and continue cooking for another 4 hours and 30 minutes or until the pork is tender and falling away from the bone.
Makes 4 servings