Tuesday, May 26, 2015
Chicken Noodle Casserole
What smells so good? That was my daughter's question as she arrived home from work. I informed her it was Chicken Noodle Casserole. And yes, dinner was almost ready.
This casserole is great tasting comfort food. The major ingredients are chicken, vegetables, sauce, and noodles. In this recipe, tender chicken is coated in a delicious cheesy sauce. To the sauce, add some carrots, onions, and peas. Stir in some cooked egg noodles and your casserole is almost ready for the oven. Pour the mixture into a baking dish and add a crunchy topping of Ritz crackers. Bake in a 425 F degree oven for about 15 minutes or until the casserole is bubbly. Let cool for 10 minutes and serve.
There is deliciousness in every bite. A great dish for family/friends.
This recipe is from"Cook's Country" magazine and serves 8.
Chicken Noodle Casserole
8 ounces wide egg noodles
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
8 ounces white mushrooms, trimmed and chopped
1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and chopped fine
1 onion, chopped fine
1 carrot, peeled and chopped fine
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 cups chicken broth
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
1 cup (4-ounces) cheddar cheese shredded
1 cup (4-ounces) American cheese, chopped
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
20 Ritz Crackers, crushed coarse
1. Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees. Bring 2 quarts water to boil in Dutch oven. Add noodles and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and cook until just al dente, about 3 minutes. Drain noodles in colander and rinse under cold running water until cool, about 2 minutes. Drain again thoroughly and set aside.
2. Heat oil in now-empty pot over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, carrot, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook until beginning to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer to bowl.
3. Whisk cornstarch together with 3 tablespoons broth in small bowl; set aside. Combine evaporated milk and remaining broth in now-empty pot and bring to boil over high heat. Add chicken, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until chicken registers 155 degrees, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate.
4. Whisk cornstarch mixture into sauce, return to boil, and cook until thickened, about 1 minute. Remove pot from heat and whisk cheddar and American cheeses into sauce until smooth. Shred chicken into bite-size pieces using 2 forks. Stir peas, shredded chicken, noodles, mushroom mixture, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1 1/4 teaspoons pepper into cheese sauce until combined.
5. Transfer mixture to 13 by 9-inch baking dish and top with crackers. Bake until golden brown and bubbling, about 15 minutes. Let casserole cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Serve.