Pages

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Lavender White Peach Curd


I love "curd" to spread on my scones, biscuits, toast, muffins, etc.   I had some white peaches still on our tree so I decided to make some curd this year.   I was particularly intrigued by this recipe that flavors the Peach Curd with lavender.  I love lavender and the wonderful flavor it adds to foods.   This recipe was no exception.  The curd had a wonderful sweet peach flavor with a mild hint of lavender.  

To begin your adventure in "curd" making, you first puree your chosen fruit - in this case peaches.  Set them aside and  whisk egg yolks together with some sugar.  You then add all of your ingredients together and cook the curd over a pan of simmering water.  I used my double boiler but you can set a bowl over a saucepan.  Be sure the fit is snug.

Once the curd has reached 175 degree F strain it into a bowl.  Whisk in some butter and  store the curd in a jar in the fridge.  It is ready to enjoy whenever you are.


Lavender White Peach Curd
From Local Milk


INGREDIENTS
1 scant tablespoon lavender buds, ground into a powder
3 large white peaches, peeled and diced
1 tablespoon of lemon juice or to taste
5 egg yolks
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter

INSTRUCTIONS
1. In a food processor of blender puree peaches. You should have about 12 ounces of puree.
2. Whisk yolks and sugar in a heat proof bowl until thick and pale yellow.




3. Stir in peach puree, lemon juice, lavender, salt, and vanilla.
4. Bring an inch or two of water to a simmer in a sauce pan that the bowl will fit snugly over, and cook the puree over the water, stirring constantly until thick enough to coat the back of the spoon, about ten minutes. It will thicken around 175°f.


5. Strain curd through a mesh strainer, swirling with the back of a ladle but not pushing, into a clean bowl and whisk in the butter, bit by bit, while the curd is still hot until fully incorporated.
6. Strain once more if desired (i don't usually but you can if you want a more refined texture).
store in a jar in the fridge. slather on everything.





4 comments:

  1. Hi Geraldine:)
    What an intriguing recipe. I have never tried my hand at making curd but the notion of peaches and lavender sounds mystical. I must pin this recipe ASAP! Thanks for sharing, Geraldine...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How tempting! I haven't made or had curd in a while..now I am seriously craving some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gerry, It sounds luscious…love the flavors! Thanks for sharing…this is something I would love to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Geraldine, you are so right about making curd - it is a very versatile and delicious spread to make at home. I think I do make it quite often enough. White peach curd sounds wonderful and the addition of some lavender must add such a wonderful flavor component as well - great recipe!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete