This past week, Becky had her wisdom teeth pulled. All four of them. I started making and feeding her rich delicious creamy soup. One of her favorites was a recipe I found for Cream of Asparagus soup. The rest of the family enjoyed it too.
Cream of Asparagus soup is a creamy flavorful soup made with asparagus, onions, seasoning, chicken broth, and cream. The asparagus and chopped onions are cooked together in the chicken broth. Once the veggies are tender, I let the soup cool before I pureed it. Once the soup is pureed, I poured it back into the pot and stirred in the cream and heated through. I seasoned it with a little more salt and pepper before serving.
This soup is very easy and quick to make. Perfect for those days when you need something quick and nourishing to eat.
Cream of Asparagus Soup
2 pounds green asparagus
1 large onion, chopped
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 to 6 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup crème fraîche or heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
1. Cut tips from 12 asparagus
1 1/2 inches from top and halve tips lengthwise if thick. Reserve for garnish.
2. Cut stalks and all remaining asparagus into 1/2-inch pieces.
3. Cook onion in 2 tablespoons butter in a 4-quart heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened. Add asparagus pieces and salt and pepper to taste, then cook, stirring, 5 minutes. Add 5 cups broth and simmer, covered, until asparagus is very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
4. While soup simmers, cook reserved asparagus tips in boiling salted water until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes, then drain.
5. Purée soup in batches in a blender until smooth, transferring to a bowl (use caution when blending hot liquids), and return to pan. Stir in crème fraîche, then add more broth to thin soup to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Bring soup to a boil and whisk in remaining tablespoon butter.
6. Add lemon juice and garnish with asparagus tips.
Makes 4 servings