Friday, September 15, 2017
You start by slicing some flank steak into thin slices and coat it with cornstarch. In a slow cooker you place some soy sauce, water, brown sugar, carrots, and garlic. Add the meat, stir, cover and cook for 5 hours on low. Before serving, stir the beef and serve over rice. Top with some green onion slices if desired.
You and your family are in for delicious dinner that was so easy to prepare. Enjoy.
Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef
From The Recipe Critic
1 ½ pounds Flank Steak
¼ cups cornstarch
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
½ teaspoons mince Garlic, Cloves
¾ cups Soy Sauce
¾ cups Water
¾ cups Brown Sugar
1 cup grated Carrots
green onions, for garnish
1. Cut flank steak into thin strips. In a zip lock bag add flank steak pieces and cornstarch. Shake to coat.
2. Add olive oil, minced garlic, soy sauce, water, brown sugar and carrots to slow cooker. Stir ingredients. Add coated flank steak and stir again until coated in the sauce.
3. Cook for high 2-3 hours or on low 4-5 hours until cooked throughout and tender. Can serve over rice and garnish with green onions.
Wednesday, September 13, 2017
As I mentioned earlier, everything is cooked in one pan. You start by heating up some oil and butter and adding the onions, garlic and pasta. Cook until the onions are tender and the pasta is slightly golden. Next stir in the chicken broth, cover and cook for about 10 minutes. Next you add the shrimp and some lemon juice, cover and cook until the shrimp are cooked. Remove the lid, sprinkle with some Parmesan cheese and serve.
The pasta had a wonderful flavor and the shrimp were tender and flavorful. The dish had a nice refreshing flavor from the lemon juice. This meal was a family favorite. It is in my file of recipes to make again and again and again.
20 Minute One Pan Shrimp and Orzo Dinner
From Laughing Spatula Modified Slightly by From My Southwest Kitchen
1 pound medium shrimp - thawed if frozen
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
3 cloves of garlic - minced
1 cup uncooked Orzo pasta
2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1 fresh lemon cut in half - divided
1. Heat large skillet on medium high heat.
2. Add butter and olive oil. Heat until butter is melted.
3. Add onion, garlic and orzo to the skillet.
4. Cook for 3-4 minutes until onion is translucent and orzo is slightly toasted.
5. Add chicken broth and parsley flakes. Stir.
6. Reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until orzo is soft and just a small amount of liquid remains in the pan.
7. Toss in the shrimp and the juice from one of the lemon halves. Stir.
8. Cover and cook for an additional 5-6 minutes or until shrimp is cooked through.
9. Cut the remaining lemon half into slices. Garnish the Shrimp and Pasta with the lemon slices and grated Parmesan cheese.
Friday, September 8, 2017
Southwestern Grilled Cheese
2 slices sandwich bread
2 slices cheddar cheese
1 roasted green chile - peeled
1 fried egg
1. Spread butter on one side of both slices of bread.
2. Heat a skillet over medium heat.
3. Place one slice of bread in the skillet buttered side down. Place a slice of cheese on the slice of bread, followed by the fried egg, green chile, another slice of cheese. Top with the other slice of bread buttered side up.
4. Cook until the bread is a golden brown in color. Turn the sandwich and grill the other side until golden brown. Serve.
Monday, August 28, 2017
Blistered Shishito Peppers
1 pound Shishito Peppers
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil or grape seed oil
1. Wash and pat dry Shishito Peppers. Place in a large bowl and set aside Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
2. Toss the Shishito Peppers with the oil. Sprinkle with salt and toss. When the skillet is hot place the peppers in the skillet.
3. Cook the peppers until lightly charred tossing frequently. Once peppers are cooked remove from heat. Sprinkle with a little more salt - if desired and serve.
Wednesday, August 23, 2017
With the cucumbers I picked this morning, I made Spicy Ginger Cucumbers - a very easy salad to make. I start off with a large English cucumber, or 2 regular cucumbers. If the seeds are large, I remove them otherwise I just slice up the cucumbers into 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch chunks. I place the cucumbers in a colander and sprinkle with some salt. I place the colander over a bowl, and cover the cucumbers with some plastic wrap. I refrigerate for one hour and give the cucumbers a toss every now and then. Once the cucumbers are ready, I pat them dry with a paper towel and toss them in a dressing of Rice Vinegar, a pinch of black pepper, a pinch of sugar, a tablespoon of minced fresh ginger, some Mirin, and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Once the cucumbers are well tossed, I cover and place them in the fridge until I am ready to serve them.
They taste wonderful - crunchiness, with a slightly sweet and spicy gingery flavor. I love them - one of my favorite ways to enjoy garden fresh cucumbers.
Spicy Ginger Cucumbers
1 English cucumber or 2 regular cucumbers
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 teaspoon Mirin
Pinch of black pepper
Pinch of sugar
Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1. Wash and peel the cucumber. Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise. If the seeds are large remove them with a spoon. Cut each of the halves in half lengthwise and cut the cucumber into 1- 1 1/2 inch chunks.
2. Place the cucumbers in a colander. Set the colander over a large bowl. Sprinkle the cucumbers with salt. Cover the cucumbers and place in the fridge for 1 hour. Toss the cucumbers every 20 minutes.
3. Pour the rice vinegar in a small mixing bowl. Add the ginger, Mirin, black pepper, sugar and crushed red pepper flakes. Stir until well mixed.
4. Remove the cucumbers from the fridge. Path the cucumbers dry with a paper towel. Place in a medium bowl and toss with the rice vinegar mixture.
5. Cover and place back in the fridge. Chill for 2-4 hours. Before serving toss the cucumbers.
Tuesday, August 15, 2017
The canning process wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought. In fact, I enjoyed it. It was kinda of satisfying preserving summer's produce to enjoy in the winter, My next adventure in canning is going to be Crushed Tomatoes.
Here is the link to the website I used for canning peaches. They have canning tips for various produce. Pick Your Own.
Wednesday, August 9, 2017
In this recipe a creamy sharp cheddar cheese sauce is spiced up a notch with some hot sauce - my favorite is Cholula. Add some Worcestershire sauce and you have a very flavorful sauce that will coat your macaroni and green chile. All ingredients are then mixed together and poured into a 13x9-inch baking dish. Bake for about 20 minutes. Let the mac and cheese cool about 20 minutes before serving. A traditional comfort food dish with some added zing. A very tasty and satisfying meal.
Green Chile Mac and Cheese
1 pound elbow macaroni
3 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon dry mustard
2 cups milk
2 cups heavy cream
4 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese, divided
2 ounces cream cheese, cubed
2 tablespoons hot sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 (4-ounce) cans green chile, diced
1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Once cooked, drain and set aside.
2. In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in the flour, dry mustard, salt, and pepper. Cook until mixture bubbles.
3. Slowly add the milk and heavy cream to the mixture. Stir well and bring mixture to a boil stirring frequently. Once the mixture has come to a boil, reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Remove saucepan from heat and slowly add in 3 cups of the cheddar cheese. Whisk until the cheese has melted then add some more cheese. Next whisk in the cream cheese until melted.
5. Stir in the hot sauce and the Worcestershire sauce.
6. In a large mixing bowl, add the cooked macaroni, cheese sauce, and green chile. Stir until the macaroni and green chile are well coated.
7. Lightly spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Pour in the mac and cheese into the baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of cheddar cheese over the macaroni.
8. Place the mac and cheese in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until bubbling. Remove from the oven and let rest 20 minutes before serving. Serve
Makes 8 servings