Tuesday, March 19, 2019
Orecchiette With Shrimp, Pepperoncini, and Basil
From Cook's Country
1 1/2 pounds extra-large shrimp (21 to 25 per pound),peeled, deveined, tails removed, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
Salt and pepper
12 ounces (3 1/3 cups) orecchiette
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, sliced thin
1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated (1/2 cup), plus extra for serving
1/4 cup chopped pepperoncini, plus 1 tablespoon brine
1/4 cup capers, rinsed
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1. Sprinkle shrimp with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and refrigerate until ready to use. Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large Dutch oven. Add pasta and 1 tablespoon salt and cook, stirring frequently, until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking water, then drain pasta.
2. Heat oil in now-empty pot over medium heat until shimmering. Add garlic and cook until beginning to brown, about 1 minute. Add shrimp and cook until just opaque, about 4 minutes.
3. Off heat, add pasta, Parmesan, pepperoncini and brine, capers, basil, and reserved cooking water and toss to combine. Serve, passing lemon wedges and extra Parmesan separately.
Tuesday, March 5, 2019
Begin by cooking the potatoes, bell pepper and onion in an ovenproof skillet. Next pour the egg mixture over the veggies. Press down on the veggies so they are submerged. Place the skillet in the oven and bake until the tortilla is set. You are ready to enjoy a wonderful and tasty dinner. Serve with a salad and you are set.
From Martha Stewart
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for serving
1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and sliced inch thick
1 red bell pepper (ribs and seeds removed), thinly sliced
1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
Coarse salt and ground pepper
8 large eggs
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, plus more for garnish
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium ovenproof nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium. Add potatoes, bell pepper, and onion; season with salt and pepper (skillet will be very full). Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are crisp-tender, 14 to 16 minutes. Uncover, and cook off excess liquid, 1 to 2 minutes.
2. In a bowl, whisk together eggs, parsley, hot sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and teaspoon pepper. Pour egg mixture over vegetables in skillet, and stir to distribute evenly. With the back of a spatula, press down on vegetables so they lay flat and are submerged.
3. Bake until tortilla is set, 12 to 16 minutes. To unmold, run a rubber spatula around edge of skillet to release tortilla; invert onto a serving plate. Drizzle tortilla with oil; garnish with parsley.
Tuesday, February 19, 2019
This is a great side dish to serve with your main meal.
Instant Pot Cheesy Broccoli and Rice
From Pillsbury Adapted by From My Southwest Kitchen
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice, rinsed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 (10-ounce) package broccoli florets
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1. Mix first 4 ingredients in insert of the Instant Pot.
2. Add in the broccoli florets and stir. Secure lid; set pressure valve to sealing. Select manual and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
3. Move pressure valve to vent when done cooking.
4. Stir in cheese. The broccoli will break down when stirring. Serve
Sunday, February 3, 2019
You have a delicious dinner with little fuss that is made in about 30 minutes.
Chicken Noodle Skillet
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup diced carrots
3/4 cup diced celery
4 ounces sliced white mushrooms
1/4 cup all purpose flour
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 ounces wide egg noodles ( about 4 cups)
1 1/2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
Grated Parmesan Cheese
1. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the carrots, celery and mushrooms. Saute in the butter until the vegetables are soft.
2. Add the flour and cook for about 3 minutes. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and cream. Stir in the onion powder, dried parsley, salt, garlic powder, dried thyme and ground black pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add the noodles and cook until the noodles are soft - about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add the chicken and heat through. Taste and reseason if necessary. Remove from heat and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese. Serve.
Tuesday, January 29, 2019
Skillet Green Beans
From My Recipes adapted by From My Southwest Kitchen
2 pounds green beans, trimmed
4 thick hickory-smoked bacon slices, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick pieces
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Cook green beans in boiling salted water to cover 4 to 5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Plunge beans into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain.
2. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat 5 to 6 minutes or until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 Tbsp. drippings in skillet.
3. Add the green beans to the skillet. Sprinkle with the onion powder and stir. Stir in the vinegar. Increase heat to medium - high and sauté the green beans for 5 minutes or until hot. Add salt and pepper to taste. Toss with reserved bacon and serve.
Friday, January 11, 2019
Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo
From Food Network
12 ounces fettuccine
Olive oil, for tossing
12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 2)
Freshly ground black pepper
1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
2 cups heavy cream
2 pinches freshly grated nutmeg
1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and salt generously. Add the pasta, and boil according to package directions until al dente, tender but still slightly firm. Strain, and toss with a splash of oil.
Meanwhile, slice the chicken into 1/4-inch-thick strips, and lay them on a plate or a sheet of waxed paper. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and add 2 tablespoons of the butter. When the butter melts, raise the heat to medium-high and add the chicken in 1 layer. Cook, without moving the pieces, until the underside has browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip the pieces, and cook until browned and fully cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes more. Transfer the chicken to a medium bowl.
3.Reduce the heat to medium, and add the remaining 6 tablespoons butter. Scrape the bottom of the skillet with a wooden spoon to release any browned bits. When the butter has mostly melted, whisk in the cream and nutmeg and bring to a simmer, then cook for 2 minutes. Lower the heat to keep the sauce just warm.
4. Whisk the Parmigiano-Reggiano into the sauce. Add the chicken and cooked pasta, and toss well. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot in heated bowls.
Tuesday, January 8, 2019
I love quick dinners that come together with little effort. I can take my family's favorite dinners and add a little twist with little effort or cost and create a whole new meal. The recipe below is one of those meals. It combines taco ingredients with crescent rolls to make a tasty meal.
You begin by preparing the taco filling. Next, you arrange the crescent rolls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper in a circular manner. Place the taco filling on the crescent rolls and fold over the filling. Top with additional cheese and bake until golden brown. Let cool for a few minutes and serve.
Crescent Taco Ring
1 lb ground beef
1 package (1 oz) taco seasoning mix
1/2 cup water
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (4 oz)
2 cans (8 oz each) refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
Cheddar cheese for sprinkling over wreath
Shredded lettuce, avocados, chopped tomatoes, sliced ripe olives, taco sauce or salsa, as desired
1. Heat oven to 375°F. In 10-inch nonstick skillet, cook beef until no longer pink. Add taco seasoning mix and 1/2 cup water. Simmer 3 to 4 minutes or until slightly thickened. In medium bowl, mix beef mixture and cheese.
2. Unroll both cans of dough; separate into 16 triangles. On ungreased large cookie sheet, arrange triangles in ring so short sides of triangles form a 5-inch circle in center. Dough will overlap. Dough ring should look like the sun.
3. Spoon beef mixture on the half of each triangle closest to center of ring.
4. Bring each dough triangle up over filling, tucking dough under bottom layer of dough to secure it. Repeat around ring until entire filling is enclosed (some filling might show a little). Sprinkle with additional cheddar cheese.
5. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until dough is golden brown and thoroughly baked. Cool 5 to 10 minutes before cutting into serving slices.