Tuesday, May 9, 2017
Instant Pot Orange Ginger Chicken
Our Best Bites
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (frozen OR thawed)
1/3 cup orange marmalade
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1/2 tablespoon honey
3 tablespoons water, broth, or orange juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
6 cloves garlic, minced
3 teaspoons cornstarch
1. Place chicken breasts in pressure cooker (see notes below for alternate cooking methods).
2. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together: marmelade, vinegar, soy sauce, honey, water, ginger and garlic. Pour mixture over chicken. Secure lid on pressure cooker and cook at high pressure for 15 minutes (15 minutes is the cooking time once under pressure.) When finished, release steam according to pressure cooker instructions and use an instant-read thermometer to make sure meat has reached 165 degrees. (If it has not reached temperature, simply return shredded chicken to sauce and simmer until cooked through.)
3. Remove chicken breasts and place on a cutting board. Bring remaining sauce in pan up to a simmer (use the saute feature on an electric cooker). Combine cornstarch with 3 teaspoons cold water and then pour mixture into pan. Simmer until sauce is thickened and the turn off heat.
4. Shred chicken and return to pot with sauce. Serve over rice.
Yields about 4 cups shredded chicken
Saturday, May 6, 2017
Not only is this recipe great, I love the fact it is cooked in one pan. Yeah - hardly any clean up. Great for busy nights or when you had a long day and you are just low on energy.
This Frittata is great for dinner - just serve it with a salad, or a nice brunch dish.
From Simply Recipes
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound thin spear asparagus, tough ends snapped off, spears cut diagonally into 1-inch lengths
6 large eggs
3/4 cup cottage cheese
1 Tbsp minced fresh chives
1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
1 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
1. Heat butter into a 10-inch oven-proof frying pan over medium heat.
Add asparagus and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
2. Beat the eggs and cottage cheese together, stir in the chives and tarragon.
Pour the egg mixture into the pan and cook until almost set, but still runny on top. While cooking, pre-heat oven broiler.
3. Sprinkle Gruyere cheese over the eggs and put in oven to broil until cheese is melted and browned, and the center is set, about 6 to 8 minutes.
4. Remove pan from oven with oven mitts and slide frittata onto a serving plate. Cut into wedges and serve.
Monday, May 1, 2017
This recipe for Beef Noodle Stir Fry has beef, mushrooms, broccoli and carrots cooked in a sauce of soy sauce, oyster sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, red pepper flakes and ground black pepper. You then add in some cooked udon noodles and stir.
Deliciousness in every bite. Noodles with a flavorful sauce clinging to them with tasty bites of beef, broccoli, and mushrooms. A meal you will be proud to serve your family and friends.
Beef Noodle Stir Fry
2 (7-ounce) refrigerated udon noodles, seasoning sauce packets discarded
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 ounces beef top sirloin filet, thinly sliced across the grain
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
6 ounces broccoli florets
2 carrots, diced
FOR THE SAUCE:
1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, oyster sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, red pepper flake and ground black pepper; set aside.
In a large pot of boiling water, cook udon noodles according to package instructions; drain well.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add beef and cook, flipping once, until browned, about 3-4 minutes; set aside.
Stir in mushrooms, broccoli and carrots to the skillet. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in udon noodles, beef and soy sauce mixture until well combined, about 2-3 minutes.
Friday, April 28, 2017
Dinner is ready. I served the Chicken Tetrazzini with a small salad and some French Bread. A dinner so simply, easy and best of all delicious.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tetrazzini
The Magical Slow Cooker
1.5 lbs. chicken breast fillets
½ tsp. sea salt
¼ tsp. garlic powder
¼ tsp. black pepper
1½ tsp. dried tarragon
1 cup diced white onion
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 cup chicken broth
1 (8-oz.) pkg. cream cheese, ⅓ less fat or regular
½ pound dried spaghetti noodles (1/2 a box), cook according to package directions
1 (8-oz.) pkg. mozzarella cheese, grated (reduced-fat or regular)
1. Add the chicken, sea salt, garlic powder, pepper, tarragon, onions and mushrooms. Pour over the chicken broth. DO NOT ADD THE CREAM CHEESE OR SPAGHETTI YET. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours, or HIGH for 4 hours without opening the lid during the cooking time.
2. Cut the cream cheese into squares and add the slow cooker, cover. In the meantime cook the spaghetti according to the package directions.
3. After the cream cheese has had some time to melt. Take 2 forks and shred the chicken. Stir the sauce and chicken together. Add the cooked and drained pasta. Stir. Add the mozzarella cheese over the pasta and sauce. Cover for about 10 more minutes or until the cheese has melted. Serve and enjoy!
Thursday, April 20, 2017
This recipe is from Alton Brown, one of my all-time favorites. It is an easy and delicious recipe.
From Alton Brown
1 to 1 1/4 pounds dry sea scallops, approximately 16
2 teaspoons unsalted butter
2 teaspoons olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
Remove the small side muscle from the scallops, rinse with cold water and thoroughly pat dry.
Add the butter and oil to a 12 to 14-inch saute pan on high heat. Salt and pepper the scallops. Once the fat begins to smoke, gently add the scallops, making sure they are not touching each other. Sear the scallops for 1 1/2 minutes on each side. The scallops should have a 1/4-inch golden crust on each side while still being translucent in the center. Serve immediately.
Sunday, April 2, 2017
You begin by placing some oil in your Instant Pot and place on the sauté setting. Cook some garlic and ginger for about 1 minute. Add some hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sherry, scallion white and cayenne. Stir well and then add the beef. I turned my beef so both side could be coated with the sauce.
Set your Instant Pot on high pressure and cook for 35 minutes. Once the ribs are cooked naturally release the pressure for about 15 minutes. Vent the remaining pressure and transfer ribs to a platter and tent with foil. Strain the sauce and return to the Instant Pot. Set on sauté and add the cornstarch mixture to the sauce. Bring to a boil and cook for about 1 minute. Pour the sauce in a small bowl.
Serve the ribs with the sauce, rice and top with the scallion greens if desired.
Asian Boneless Short Ribs
From Copycat Recipes Adapted Slightly by From My Southwest Kitchen
Special Equipment: Instant Pot or Other Electric Pressure Cooker
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 (2-inch) piece ginger, peeled, sliced into 1/4" thick rounds
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
4 scallions, white parts coarsely chopped, green parts thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
6 (8 ounce) boneless beef short ribs, trimmed
2 tablespoons corn starch
2 tablespoons water
1. Set the Instant Pot to the Sauté setting. Add the oil to the pot. Heat for about 1 minute and the add the garlic and the ginger. Sauté for about 1 minute or until fragrant. Stir in the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sherry, scallion whites, and the cayenne pepper.
2. Place the short ribs in the sauce and turn to coat both sides. Place the lid on the Instant Pot. Be sure the valve is set to the Sealing setting. Set the pressure on high and cook for 35 minutes.
3. Naturally release the pressure for about 15 minutes. Move the valve to venting position to release the remaining pressure. Once the pressure is released carefully open the lid away from you.
4. Remove the ribs and place on a platter. Tent with foil. Strain the sauce and return to the pot. Place Instant Pot on Sauté setting.
5. Place the cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Mix well and gradually add to the pot. Stir until the mixture comes to a boil Cook for 1 minute. Pour the sauce in a small bowl and serve with the ribs.
6. Place some rice on a plate. Top with a rib and some sauce. Sprinkle with scallion tops.
Makes 6 servings
Tuesday, March 14, 2017
This recipe is very easy to make. Start by washing a spaghetti squash. Poke it a few times with a fork and cook on high in a crockpot for 3 hours with a cup of water. When the squash is done, scoop the spaghetti out. In a bowl combine some bacon, peas, cream cheese, salt, and pepper. Mix it well with the squash and place back in the crockpot for about 45 minutes. After about 20 minutes, stir in the Parmesan cheese and cook for the remaining 25 minutes. When done, serve with additional Parmesan cheese.
This is a delicious side dish or a main dish. Enjoy.
Creamy Spaghetti Squash With Peas and Bacon
From Cooktop Cove
Special Equipment: Crockpot
1 (about 5 pounds) spaghetti squash
1 cup water
5 slices of bacon - diced
2 cups fresh or frozen petite peas
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup powdered Parmesan cheese plus extra for topping
1. Clean squash and poke with a fork throughout the skin. Place the spaghetti squash and the cup of water in the crock pot. Cover and set on high and cook for 3 hours.
2. Add the bacon to a skillet and cook until soft. Set aside.
3. Remove the squash from the crockpot when it is cooked. Cut open with a knife lengthwise. Carefully remove the seeds. Scoop out the spaghetti strands. Place the squash back in the crockpot.
4. Stir together the bacon, peas, cream cheese, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Add to the crockpot. Stir and mix well.
5. Cover and cook for 20 minutes on high. Add the Parmesan cheese, stir, cover and cook for another 25 minutes. Serve and top with additional cheese if desired.
Serves 6 main servings