Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Heart Healthy Bites To Go

We all get in a hurry and feel there is no time to eat healthy.  Our answer at times like this is to go to the nearest fast food place or look in the frozen food aisle for something quick and maybe not so healthy.  I am here to tell you healthy food can be quick and easy.  Some of the healthy staples you'll need are nuts - especially walnuts and almonds, dried fruits - blueberries, cranberries, yogurt, bananas, oats, tuna, salmon, olives, fresh berries, papaya, cantaloupe.

Here are some ideas I use when I need a quick healthy bite.

Fruit and Nuts:  Dried fruits and nuts make a very quick snack to go.  I grab a handful of nuts and a handful of dried fruits put them in a Ziploc bag and they are ready to go.

Yogurt:  Grab a carton of yogurt and if desired take some granola and/or fruit to eat with your yogurt.

Olives: Instead of having a pickle with your sandwich try some olives.  Or just put some olives in a Ziploc bag for  quick pick me up.

Fresh Berries:  Strawberries,blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, are great for your heart.  You can eat them as is, or top with yogurt, granola or sprinkle them with some ground flax seed .

Bananas: You just peel and eat.  What could be easier.

Soy:  I pack a small carton of soy milk for lunches or as a quick refreshing beverage when I am running errands.  I particularly like the vanilla while my kids like the chocolate.

Tuna or Salmon Salad:  Instead of using a gob of mayonnaise for my favorite sandwich I use about 1 tablespoon low fat mayonnaise and some mustard - enough to hold the mixture together.   At times I add some relish.  You can also use as a spread on multi grain crackers.

Fresh Salmon:  Salmon is quick and easy to grill or bake.  Add a steamed vegetable and you have a quick and easy healthy meal.

Fruit, Fruit , Fruit:   Just slice, dice, and eat.

Oatmeal:  Don't have time to make a steaming bowl of oatmeal.  Grab some Quaker oat squares and add some dried fruits and nuts for your own gorp mix.

These are just a few ideas for healthy heart bites to go.

Enjoy and here's to your good health.

No comments:

Post a Comment