Pages

Friday, February 25, 2011

Mexican Night Tradition:Green Chili Stew, Enchiladas and Beans

Today is my mother's eighty-ninth birthday.  Happy Birthday Mom.

My mother  cultivated my  taste for New Mexican food at an early age.  I would  help her in the kitchen as she prepared food for our weekly "Mexican Night" meal.  The standard menu consisted of guacamole, enchiladas, beans,  tacos, flour tortillas, and spumoni ice cream.  The menu evolved over time to include  Green Chili Stew, nachos, papitas, and sopapillas.

I would help my mother doing various cooking tasks.  My favorite when I was little was sprinkling the grated cheese over the enchiladas.  More cheese went in my mouth then on the enchiladas.  My mother would just smile and grate more delicious cheese.

I loved the smell of the food cooking,  The aromas would filter through the house and tease the taste buds with the deliciousness yet to come.  To this day whenever I smell the intoxicating aroma of green chili roasting, I think of those days in the kitchen with my mother.

The years have passed and  I am now cooking with my kids like my mom did with me.  The  kids still like sprinkling the cheese and like me more cheese is eaten than sprinkled.

Tonight, for my mother's birthday dinner, I am going cook our traditional "Mexican Night" meal.

Below is  my recipe for Green Chili  Stew.  To save time I use prepared Green Chili Sauce but it doesn't sacrifice flavor.


Green Chili Stew


1 pound of ground beef browned
1-quart beef broth
2 medium potatoes peeled and diced
1 cup frozen corn
1-16 can or jar of Green Chili sauce
1–15 ounce pinto beans rinsed and drained
Salt and Pepper to taste



1. Put all of the ingredients in a 4-½ quart stock pan.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover and cook for 25 minutes.
2. Remove from heat.  Adjust seasoning to your taste.

Makes 8 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment