Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Poppy Seed Dressing

With spring here, I eat a lot of salads and fresh fruits.  One of my favorite dressings is Poppy Seed.  I love the taste of sweetness from the sugar, the tartness from the vinegar, and the nutty flavor of the poppy seeds.  I was doing some research on poppy seeds and I found they have some great health benefits.  The oleic acid in poppy seeds helps lower your bad cholesterol and increase your good cholesterol.  Poppy seeds are an excellent source of B complex vitamins. They also contain minerals -  iron, copper, calcium, potassium, manganese, zinc and magnesium. All this in a tiny little seed.
Back to the recipe.  The recipe below is very easy and quick to make.  Most of the time, I make it with cider vinegar, but white wine vinegar works well too.  The dressing has a nice thickness to it which lends itself to be a great tasting fruit/veggie dip.   I drizzle the dressing on salads, fresh berries, and as I said earlier,  I use it as a dip for apple wedges, pears, strawberries, bananas, carrots - it goes with just about anything.

Poppy Seed Dressing
Adapted from Simply Simpatico Cookbook


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons salt
2/3 cup cider vinegar
3 tablespoons onion juice
2 cups vegetable oil
3 tablespoons poppy seeds


Directions:

1. In a medium bowl mix sugar, mustard, salt, and vinegar until well combined.
2. Add the onion juice and stir thoroughly.
3. Whisk in the vegetable oil slowly and continue to whisk until thick.
4. Stir in poppy seeds and whisk.
5. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

Note:  You can find onion juice in the spice section.



Makes 3 1/2 cups of salad dressing



Poppy Seed Dressing Over Fresh Berries

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I love poppyseed dressing, too! Mine has minced onions (I think!) and not onion juice. You've put me in the mood for a big salad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big fan of poppy seeds, I would sprinkle them over my breakfast cereal. The dressing sounds and looks very refreshing. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This dressing in the store is quite expensive, so I am glad to see a recipe for it. Looks like all I will need to get is the onion juice. Since I do like fruit in salads the cider vinegar version would be great. Inspiring post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love poppy seed dressing…what a great to serve it! I will have to give this a try next time I serve fresh berries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. try it on Ham, Lettuce and Tomato eith on a plate or in a white crusty bread roll

    ReplyDelete