Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Strawberry Curd

The April 2012 issue of "Southern Living Magazine" magazine had delicious strawberry recipes.  My blogger friend, Lizzy, from  That Skinny Chick Can Bake    made the Fresh Strawberry Meringue Cake.  I'm sure you will agree it looked luscious.   I decided to make the Strawberry Curd.  The recipe sounded delicious.  It is  made with fresh strawberries, fresh lime juice, sugar, mmmm.   It makes the perfect spread for biscuits, toast, muffins, scones, or as the recipe stated filling for tart shells. You can also use it as a flavoring for yogurt.   This recipe was well written and very easy to follow.  The time consuming  part was pressing  the strawberries  through a strainer to remove the seeds.  The result was a great tasting berry spread with a hint of lime.










Strawberry Curd
From Southern Living Magazine

Ingredients:
4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons corn starch
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
3 large eggs
2 egg yolks
3 tablespoons butter

Directions:

1. Process the fresh sliced strawberries in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed.
2. Press strawberries through a large wire-mesh strainer into a medium bowl, using back of a spoon to squeeze out juice; discard pulp and seeds.
3. Combine sugar and cornstarch in a 3-quart saucepan.
4. Gradually whisk in strawberry puree and the fresh lime juice.
5. Whisk in the eggs and eggs yolks.
6. Bring mixture to a boil over  medium heat, whisking constantly, and cook, whisking constantly 1 minute.
7. Remove from heat, and whisk in the butter.
8. Place plastic wrap directly on warm curd (to prevent a film from forming).
9. Chill 8 hours.  Serve with hot biscuits, muffins, scones, toast, or use as a filling for tart shells.

Makes about 7 cups




Strawberry Curd


6 comments:

  1. This is a great alternative to any store bought fruit preserves to put on toast or bread. I'm saving the recipe. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you liked the recipe:) I hope you enjoy the Strawberry Curd as much as my family did.

      Delete
  2. I almost bought that magazine, because I love strawberries! This curd is really unique and a great change from the lemon that you see all around. I think I may like it better than jam, well worth a try. Thanks for posting this Geri!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this looks lovely, Geri!!! I've only made lemon curd, but I can think of so many great desserts to make with strawberry curd! Thanks for the mention, too...such a nice surprise this morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I didn't even know you could make strawberry curd. Great recipe and I like the step by step photos.

    ReplyDelete