Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Rigatoni in Tomato Sauce

Pasta is a favorite of mine to cook and eat.  I love a big plate of pasta coated with a red sauce.  When I saw this recipe for "Rigatoni in Tomato Sauce" in  "Saveur" magazine, I knew I had to try it.  The pasta is tossed in a simple tomato-herb sauce.

You get whole, peeled tomatoes in juice, crushed by hand and simmered with carrots, onions, garlic, fresh rosemary and sage.   As it was simmering, the sauce had an enticing aroma.   Once the sauce was done, I let it cool and then pureed it in a blender.

 I tossed the pasta in a large bowl with the sauce, sprinkled it with cheese and fresh parsley.  The result was one big bowl of delicious and satisfying pasta.  

The family really enjoyed this dish.  The carrots, onion, garlic, and herbs added a wonderful flavor to the sauce.   The sauce also coated the pasta nicely so you got a delicious bite every time.   This is one dish I will make many times in the future.  


Rigatoni in Tomato Sauce
From Saveur Magazine

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium carrots, minced
1 large yellow onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 sprigs rosemary
2 sprigs sage
1/2 cup red wine
1 (28-oz) can whole, peeled tomatoes in juice, crushed by hand
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 pound dried rigatoni
1/4 cup thinly sliced parsley leaves
1/3 cup coarsely grated pecorino romano or mozzarella

Directions:

1.  Heat oil in a 4- quart saucepan over medium heat.  Add carrots and onion, and cook stirring, until soft, about 9 minutes.  Add garlic, rosemary, and sage, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.  Add wine, and cook, stirring, until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.  Add tomatoes, and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring, until reduced, about 1 hour.  Discard herbs and puree sauce in a blender.  Season sauce with salt and pepper; keep warm.

2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat, and add rigationi; cook, stirring, until al dente, about 9 minutes.  Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup pasta water.  Toss pasta and sauce in a bowl, adding tablespoons of pasta water to create a smooth sauce.  Divide pasta and sauce among bowls, and garnish with parsley and cheese.

Makes 6-8 servings





2 comments:

  1. Like you, I relish the good sauce in a pasta dish more so than all the cheese. This blend is not too heavy and has some tasty notes of flavor. Now I am ready for my bowl of this, then I will be content! Delicious post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm...! I don't make rigatoni that often but when I do its such a treat, I love the big textured noodles! Looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete