Pages

Monday, May 23, 2016

White Cheddar Broccoli Soup

About 6 months ago, I had some great tasting Broccoli Cheese Soup at Panera  Bread.  It was delicious.   I enjoyed the flavors and the fact one bowl was a satisfying meal.   I was very excited when I found their soup recipe on the web. This soup is a rich and hearty and chocked full of veggies.
I did some very slight modifications to the original recipe.  I did not puree my soup because I like have a little texture to my soup, but feel free to blend.   This recipe serves 4.  

White Cheddar Broccoli Soup
 Adapted from Panera Broccoli Cheese Soup

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon melted butter
½ medium onion chopped
¼ cup melted butter
¼ cup flour
2-cups half-and-half
2 cups chicken stock
4 cups broccoli florets finely chopped
1 cup finely chopped carrots
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon white pepper
Pinch ground nutmeg
2 cups finely shredded white cheddar cheese
Salt and Pepper
Grated Cheese for topping

Directions:

1. Sauté the onion in the butter.  Set aside.
2.Stir melted butter and flour until incorporated in a heavy-bottom saucepan over medium heat.  Whisk constantly for 3-5 minutes.
3. Slowly add the half and half and stir until combined.  Repeat with chicken stock.
4. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. 
5. Add the broccoli, carrots, onions, salt, pepper, and nutmeg to the broth mixture.   Stir, cover and cook at a simmer for 20 minutes or until veggies are tender.
6. Add cheese slowly stirring constantly until melted.
7. If desired you can puree the soup in a blender *or leave as is.  Re taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.  Top with grated cheese and serve.

*If puréeing soup in a stand blender, let the soup cool for about 5 minutes and process in small batches.  You may need to reheat the soup.

Makes 4 servings

1 comment:

  1. I am very sure this soup tastes fantastic! Well, can't be bad with 2cups of cheese, can it?

    ReplyDelete