One of my favorite foods to cook in the crock pot is beef. It cooks up tender, moist, and flavorful. Today's recipe of Shredded Beef is cooked in a sweet n spicy barbecue sauce. The sweetness comes from the brown sugar and honey. The spiciness comes from the chipotle chili powder and the mustards.
I use a beef eye of round roast. I find it tends to absorb more of the flavor of the sauce.
This beef makes terrific sandwiches and is a great topping for baked potatoes. You can also eat it by itself with a side of baked beans, corn or fries. It is good no matter which way you eat it.
Shredded Beef in Sweet Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
Special Equipment: Crock Pot
1 (3 lb) beef eye of round roast
1 medium onion finely chopped
2 cloves garlic peeled and finely minced
1 ½ cups ketchup
1-cup beef broth
¼ cup honey
1/3-cup chili sauce
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2-tablespoon spicy brown mustard
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon Worcheshire Sauce
1-teaspoon soy sauce
1-teaspoon liquid smoke
1-teaspoon celery seed
½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
½ teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet.
2. Pat the roast with a damp paper towel. Sprinkle the roast with pepper.
3. Brown the roast on all sides in the skillet. Set aside
4. Mix together all of the remaining ingredients.
5. Pour a small amount of the sauce in the bottom of the crock-pot.
6. Place the roast in the crock pot. Pour the remaining sauce over the roast.
7. Cook on low for 7 1/2 hours.
8. Remove the roast from the crock pot and place on a cutting board.
9. Shred the beef with two forks and return the beef to the crock pot.
10. Cook for another 30 minutes.
|Sweet Chipotle Barbecue Sauce|
|Roast In Crock Pot With Small Layer of Sauce On Bottom|
|Barbecue Sauce Poured Over Roast|
|Shredding Beef With Forks|
|Barbecue Beef Baked Stuffed Spud|