Not only does the soup taste great, lentils have been listed as one the 5 healthiest foods. They are high in protein, dietary fiber, folate, Vitamin B and minerals.
I usually serve this soup with a crusty piece of bread.
Lentil and Pasta Soup
1 cup dried lentils
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup diced Kielbasa Sausage
1 cup diced potatoes
¾ cup sliced carrots
½ cup finely diced onion
½ cup diced celery
1 cup canned plum tomatoes coarsely chopped
5 cups beef broth
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 cup Ditalini pasta
Salt to taste
Grated Pecorino Romano cheese
1. Discard any foreign matter from the lentils. Rinse lentils under cold water. Drain and set aside.
2. In a Dutch oven heat the olive oil over medium heat. Once a haze forms on the olive oil add the butter.
3. Add the diced Kielbasa sausage to the oil and cook for 3 minutes stirring occasionally.
4.Add the potatoes, carrots, onion and celery to the oil. Stirring occasionally cook for 5 minutes.
5. Add tomatoes and cook an additional 5 minutes.
6. Add the lentils, beef broth, ground black pepper, and bay leaf to the vegetable mixture. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until lentils are tender stirring frequently.
7. Cook pasta to al dente while the soup is simmering. . Drain and set aside.
8. Add pasta to the soup and stir. Remove the Bay leaf.
9. Taste and add salt if needed.
10. Ladle soup in bowls and serve with grated Pecorino Romano cheese.
Makes 8 servings