Pages

Friday, October 18, 2013

Boeuf A La Mode (aka great pot roast)

Pot Roast
I am playing catch-up this week in French Friday's With Dorie.   I was going to skip this recipe, but I read all of the rave reviews from my fellow Doristas so I had to make it.  After making the dish, I was very glad I did not skip it.  The beef was delicious and ever so tender and flavorful.   A beef rump roast or chuck roast is marinated overnight in a fruity red wine with carrots, onions, celery, and herbs.  The next day, you strain the marinate and reduce it by half.  Add some beef broth to the reduction.  In addition, you add some tomato paste and anchovies to the marinade sauce.  I was a little hesitant on the anchovies - they are not my favorite.  Your roast is browned and placed in a Dutch oven.  Scatter the veggies around the roast and add the marinade.  Bake for about 2 1/2 - 3 hours until the roast is fork tender.  Remove the roast from the Dutch Oven and serve.  I strained the sauce and ladled some over my roast.  I served the roast with Roasted Potatoes With Garlic and Thyme .  The dinner was enjoyed by all.  This has become my favorite new recipe for pot roast.  This recipe can be found on pages 252-253 in "Around My French Table."






7 comments:

  1. I skipped this one, but now it's on my definite to-do list! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one was delicious…glad you got it done! Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geraldine, glad that you got a chance to make the roast, I did not have the time last week but after reading all the wonderful reviews (including yours), I know I will be making this recipe soon!
    Such a wonderful presentation!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you sliced this one... we are fans of the shredded meat but this is tasty either way! Are you going to make it again?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks perfect!!! I think everyone enjoyed this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I skipped it too but only because I can't find the time to do it justice and I want to enjoy the aroma in my home while it cooks. I think this Sunday it will get its chance.

    ReplyDelete